Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 26 - Un Viaje con Sr. Justine

Today, I woke up around 10am and went to have breakfast. Senora Elsa said not to eat too much because I would be having an early lunch. Sr. Justin and I were leaving for the bus station around 1:15.

I took a nice walk with Sr. Anni to Jumbo to buy some snacks for the trip to Los Angeles, and then came back to have lunch with Sr. Justine. At 1:15, we got in a cab and headed for the station.

Our bus left Santiago around 2:30. There is nothing to exciting to report about the ride. The scenery headed south isn´t as picturesque as the trip to Ovalle. And thankfully, there were no encounters with the police. Sr. Justin and I talked a bit, then Sr. Justine slept while I watched the movies (The Longest Yard with Adam Sandler, and some really bad Disney movie about a girl who races cars). Our bus driver stayed below the speed limit for buses (100 KPH), so the annoying beeping alarm that indicated when he went over the limit didn´t go off often.















We arrived in Los Angeles around 9:00pm and took a cab to the convent house. We met the sisters there (I don´t know all of their names yet), and then Sr. Justine and I had a bite to eat some coffee and then went to our room, to unpack and prepare for the next day.

According to Sr. Justine, the grounds of this particular convent are used for a home for young girls. There are 5 houses, each one has a house mother. Our room is down a long enclosed walkway from the convent house and borders a large empty room with a fireplace. When we got there ALL THE DOORS to the outside were WIDE OPEN. I don´t know what the temperature is here, but it is COLD.

Our room has a small bathroom with a shower and 3 beds in it. The ceilings are very tall, and the small heater in the room doesn´t make a big impact. I have been having flashbacks to a camping trip in Maine with Erika and Aimee, where we opted to pack our things and find a hotel. As I bundle up for the night, I keep imaginging NYC and how warm and sunny it is right now. As cold as I am, I am still glad I made the trip with Sr. Justine.

Tomorrow we go to a school in the area for Sr. Justine to discuss vocations with the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment