Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 33 - triste adiós (sad goodbyes)

I am exhausted.

I woke up at 8:30 to get ready for my big day. First I had to get the cakes ready for the professors, then I had make a sign to put near it. Sr. Consuelo helped me with the wording "Gracias por hacerme sentir muy acogido en St. John Villa Academy" (Thank you for making me feel welcome...).

I dropped the cakes off at the Salon de Profesores (Teachers' Room) and then went to stop by the offices of Fernando (the director) and Alba (the principal) with my cards and empanadas. When I returned to the Teachers' Room at 10am (coffee break) I was welcomed with thanks and hugs and well wishes... They really appreciated the gesture and I was glad to see that I had made enough for everyone.

Solange accompanied me for another trip to Jumbo for the rest of my photos. We had to be back by 1:00 for lunch with the sisters, and I still had to finish all my cards. We got back to the house at 12:00.

At 12:30, Sr. Justine asked me to come to the school with her, and I was back in Alba's office with Fernando, Sr. Justine and a few staff members. They thanked me for the cards, and asked me to have coffee with them. They encouraged me to come back to Chile again and next time stay for 3 months so I could become more fluent. they gave me a card and small gift...and thats when the tears started.

Sr. Justine and I rushed back to the house at 1:00 and everyone was outside waiting for us to get in the van and go to the restaurant. Somebody said something about it being my last day, and I started tearing up again. Sr. Marie Isabella gave me some tissues.

The restaurant was a really special place. It had a rotating floor so you got to see the whole view of the city. Unfortunately, there was a lot of smog, and the view was obscured, but it really didn't matter. Everyone from our house was there (except for Sr. Luz Irene-unfortunately Sr. Assunta's brother passed away in Argentina)., including Senora Elsa and Sr. Consuelo who was visiting from Ovalle.




















Everything was going fine...and then they gave me gifts...and singing a song about Chile...




















I was having a hard time with all this. I think it is partly hormonal, combined with lack of sleep and just time moving too quickly. Plus, I am sad to leave all my new friends and family.

When we got home I ran back to my room to finish working on my cards and tried to pull myself back together. Sr. Justine knocked on my door and told me it was time to go to mass in the chapel.

I should have known. Sr. Justine had her guitar and she started the mass with a long introduction to a prayer which focused on my travels. Sr. Marie Isabella handed me another pack of tissues. After the mass, the priest asked me why I had to leave, with all my tears he seriously must of thought I was being forced against my will!!!

Anyway, after the mass, I finished my cards and washed my face. I set them out with my baked goods for the sister in the dining room.






Then Sr. Teresa and Sr. Marie Isabella took me to Macul to say goodbye to my friends there. Thankfully, it was tear free and was a very nice visit with Sr. Romilda, Sr. Alfonso Maria, Sr. Carmen and Sr. Bernadita. I gave them their cards, and said goodbye.

Tomorrow my plane leaves at 11:am. Sr. Bernadita will be here at 8am to pick me up. I don't know who will be joining me, but someone left me 3 packs of tissues.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm hormonal, cuz I'm tearing up reading this! So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are going to miss you but I'm sure glad you're coming back home!

    ReplyDelete