Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 32 - Cooking and Crafting

Today I woke up LATE. It was 11 am.

I had a VERY QUIET lunch with the sisters (no talking...today was a day of reflection). This week was Sister Zoila's turn to cook. She made a dish with beef, it was delicious but I didn't feel comfortable taking a picture on this day of reflection. Worst of all, I couldn't tell Sr. Zoila how much I enjoyed her cooking.

After lunch, I headed to Jumbo for my pictures and then got to baking. I made guava empanadas for the sisters, and the directors of the school and 4 cakes for the teachers, which I planned to leave in the teacher's room for their coffee break at 10:00 am as a thank you for making me feel so welcome. I had aspirations of doing a bunch of bundt cakes, but after the first one stuck to the bottom of the pan, I decided to go with the boring sheet cakes in the disposable pans. I was baking for about 4 hours.

I finished right about the end of the Sister's day of reflection, 6pm. I joined them for a quick bite to eat (with talking). They were all excited about my baking. Sr. John Marie told me that tomorrow, the sisters would be taking me out to eat in Santiago in a resturant that overlooks the city. Senora Elsa would be joining us too.

After that, I headed to my room to start on my cards for everyone. My project was very ambitious, writing everyone a little note (most in Spanish) and including a few photos of some of my special moments with them. I was up most of the night working on it...and at about 4am, realized that at least 10 of the pictures I had planned on using were never printed. I decided to move foward with the things I could do, and somehow make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment