Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 10 – Un dia muy largo

Today was a very long day. (Which is why I didn't have photos up until late).

Sr. Bernadetta and I started the morning with a trip to La Ferria (the farmer’s market). We shopped for fruits, eggs, fish and vegetables for the the Macul house for the entire week. Sr. Bernadetta quizzed me on all the names of the fruits and vegetables, from apples to zucchinis (If I didn't know the names in Spanish going into the market, I usually didn't remember them going out...but maybe one or two will stick).




















After, we walked a few blocks from the house to el correos (the post office) to send the cards I bought yesterday and then headed to JUMBO (kind of like Walmart) to do some shopping. I was surprised to learn that after you made a purchase at Jumbo, you could get any of your items gift-wrapped for FREE!!! People were wrapping everything from books, hats to birthday cakes.

After our shopping, we returned to the house for mass and lunch. Then I met Rex, the house watch dog (he's beautiful, but not friendly like Guaton). Only Sr. Carmen can get near him...he bites everyone else. He is so tough...he plays with a rock.















After I got my stuff ready for Santiago, I hung out the rest of the afternoon watching TV with Sr. Assunta, and Sr. Alfonso Maria. Sr. Romilda gave me a beautiful card with the flowers and swan she had shown me how to make the day before (soooo incredibly sweet). It was really hard for me to say goodbye to the sisters in Macul today. I hope to be able to get a few more short visits in before I go back to the states (I am sure I will).

At 4:30 we packed up my things and headed to the other cerro (hill) in Santiago, Cerro San Cristobol. This cerro is much bigger than the one Sr. Bernadetta and I visited yesterday. We took a funicular car to the top (instead of taking a 1 hour walk up.) Sr. Bernadetta timed it so we could get there right at Sunset. The view was amazing and tonight, I could see the Andes.




















At 7:00 we headed back to Santiago, for 8:00 mass at the school (where Sr. Justin and her chorus sings) and then we went to BINGO. I’ve been to BINGO before, but this was something else. The whole entire school was there (apparently this is an annual fundraising event). You played for big prizes instead of money. The grand prize was a trip to Brazil, which was won on full card game. Two people had tied for the prize and the winner was decided by a coin toss. Solange, Sr Justin and I stayed to the very end. We left the gym at 12:45 AM. We didn't win anything.
















I'm beat...so I'll have to finish this post tomorrow. I'm expecting it will be a much quieter day. But you never know with these Sisters!!!

2 comments:

  1. That sunset photo must be even better in person! That one goes next to the great wall picture.

    ReplyDelete