Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 18 - "Barbara, su postre es un siete!"

Today was an early morning. I was up at 7:30 for my bike ride with Patricia. I was waiting for her outside the gate at 8:30, when I heard the phone ring inside the house. Sr. Anni came out with the phone. Patricia had locked herself out of the house, so she was going to be late. She said she would call me when she was coming.

So I went inside and started the makings for my Apple pie. I had cut up most of the apples when the doorbell rang. It was Patricia. I covered everything up, told Sr. Luz Irene please let Sr. Justin know that I would finish up when I get back, and headed out for my ride with Patricia. (Camilla didn’t come…I think she wanted to sleep in today).

Today it was overcast and cooler than yesterday. We rode higher up into the hills and farther than we did previously, but the views weren’t as good as yesterday, so I didn’t take any pictures, but it was a really nice ride. We plan to do again next weekend.

We got back around 11:30 and I continued with my pie work. The crust was store bought, so it wasn’t too hard. I finished mixing the ingredients and put it in the oven. Then I made some empanadas with guayaba (guava) and with duraznos (peaches). My dad had emailed me the other day about guava empanadas, which inspired me to make them. Sr. Justin and I had a hard time finding the guava paste in Jumbo yesterday. I was surprised to see that they don’t have a Goya section (or even have the brand at all here.) The guava we found was from Brazil and was an orangy-color, not the dark red that I am used to seeing in the states, but it tasted the same.

















Lunch today was really special. We had a barbeque in the yard. Sr. Soyla decorated with streamers and pictures of Chile and Sr. Luz Irene made a drink called VAINA (not sure exactly what was in it, but it was sweet had wine and cinnamon on top and it was strong). Sr. Carolina (visiting from Ovalle) got the BBQ going and cooked the Choripan (sausages) and pork chops. Sr. Justin and Sr. Anni worked on the vegetable sides (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, potatoes and greens). We ate outside with Chilean music in the background.
















My contribution to the celebration (the desserts) were a hit. Sr. John Marie said my Apple Pie was a “7” which is actually a "10" in Chile. I thought it was good too(not as good as my mom’s but nobody here has eaten my mom’s so it doesn’t matter). Sister Soyla said the empanadas were “Super Rico.”




We didn’t get to go to Cerro San Cristobal today…the weather wasn’t that great AND I was super cansada. I ended up taking a long nap.

Tomorrow, back to school for me. I have classes from 8:30am tomorrow morning with the little ones until 1:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment