Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 3 – Un Sabado Gigante



Today was just like the variety show, Sabado Gigante. All that was missing was the host, Don Francisco.




This weekend its Sr. John Marie’s turn to make lunch (almuerzo)(the sisters take turns every weekend. Next weekend is Sr. Anni’s turn). When I went to the kitchen around 10:00am, she was already beginning her preparations with Sr. Marie Isabella. The menu for the day was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and American gravy, peas and carrots, and salad. I helped cut the vegetables.




I don't know what Sr. John Marie was so worried about. She did a great job. We ate around 1:00. The meal was delicious, but very filling.

Sr. Justin promised to come with me to walk off the lunch. But first she recruited me to help her to set up for the 8:00 pm mass that was hosted by the 8th graders. Sr. Justin had created a powerpoint of the prayers, responses and song lyrics. Her plan was to project them on a screen so everyone at the mass could follow along.

I helped Sr. Justin and Sr. Anni set up the equipment and then I was put to the task of increasing font sizes and changing colors. After about 60 slides…(Sr. Justin kept saying only 3 more) I was done. We went for a short walk around the campus, during which she recruited me for a web project and then we walked back to the convent for some coffee and a snack.

Sr. Bernadette (the sister who drove me from the airport) and Sr. Carmen (a friend of SJVA's Sr. Ermelinda) came by to visit from the other house in Macul. Here's a picture of Sr. Carmen with Sr. John Marie (who had on her cooking apron ALL DAY...she took her role as a chef very seriously).















A few hours later, we were all at the Chapel (la Capilla) for the mass. It was very nicely done with the students and parents participating together in the event. While I am sure the attendees found the powerpoint useful, for me, it was like having subtitles, which is helpful…even in Spanish. My eyes seem to hear better than my ears do!

Here’s a sample from the choir led by Sr. Justin. The picture isn´t great I have been having a hard time uploading these...



At the end there was a nice video of the mothers of the girls (in honor of mother’s day)… Hey Mom…if you are reading this (and I know you are because you are the best mom in the world…Happy Mother’s Day!!!)

Speaking of parents, I keep seeing a lot of the same students, parents, and teachers at the various events (I’ve only been here 3 days). They sure put in some late hours around here!!!

On the way back to the house from the Chapel, Guaton came running (like a thief in the night) with a big bag in his mouth. Some parents had a BBQ at the school today. Apparently Guaton found some goodies.

I will be going North to Ovalle with Sr. John Marie tomorrow via bus. They have another school and convent there. We’ll be there for a few days. I am told that it is warmer than Santiago. Its about a 6 hour trip. I am looking forward to seeing another part of the country. Sr. Anni exchanged my US dollars for Chilean money. She gave me a much better rate than the bank (she said she doesn’t deal with small bills).

Anyway…tomorrow…Ovalle



View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. I need to go stay with the sisters. All you guys do is eat and walk around. Thats my kinda life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Sabado Gigante is what latin women love to watch on Saturday nights. They sit in front of the tv from 7-11! He is truly the Don.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot about the naps after lunch!

    I remember you telling me about Sabado Gigante before I left...I haven´t seen it yet here, but they sure love the Tela Novellas!

    ReplyDelete