Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 12 - Regreso a la escuela

Today I went "Back to School."

Fernando, the Director at St. John Villa Academy, had an entire schedule set up for me.

First, I attended a literature class from the High School, where the girls performed a monologue that each had memorized. I don't know exactly what they were saying the whole time, but they were very well prepared and really took on the character they were portraying, with costumes and all.

The second class was Taller de Folklore (Folklore Workshop) with the second graders. The girls learn songs, dances, and stories about their country. If you want a good smile...watch this video. They were absolutely adorable!




I came back to the house for lunch, and had the tripe (cow belly). I thought it was okay, but don't think I would put it on my "favorite foods in Chile" list. I forgot to take a picture, but it looked like onions in tomato sauce.

After lunch, there was computer class with the 3rd graders. The students did math using a computer program, it was fun to watch them work together to get the right answer.

Tomorrow I am going to a trip to the Cultural Museum with the 5th graders. And then will sit in on a computer class.

2 comments:

  1. I think it depends on how the tripe was cooked, but the tomato sauce sounds very familiar. Oh, and it also depends on whether or not you can just put it out of your head what it is. :-)

    Did they have their monologue presentations specifically for you, Barb? Very sweet!

    Sounds like you're having a great time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,

    Tripe is probably really healthy for you...it just kind of tasted fatty to me. That was my main complaint. It was okay, but I rather eat something else if I had the choice.

    The dancing was specifically for me, but the monologues were part of a project the girls were working on. The teacher invited me back next week to see the rest of the class perform. The whole time I was watching them I remembered when we had to do speeches in high school...these girls would have blown us away.


    Yes having a great time. I got your magnet by the way!!! This was very exciting for me...since even when I was able to explain what it was (una cosa para el refrigirador) and Sr. Bernadetta was able to take me to the market to buy one and I even purchased one nobody seems to know what the right name was for it.

    ReplyDelete