Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 6 - Ovalle - "Si te pierdes ... sólo mirar hacia arriba."

Today, I had no camera to use, but I had plenty of time to spare.

I did a little work on the blog (I´m glad everyone is enjoying it...thanks for your feedback!), and then I helped Sr. John Marie with a project she was doing on the computer.

At lunch, Sr. Carolina asked if I felt "los temblores" (the tremors) this morning. I didn´t, but I do remember hearing a lot of dogs howling around that time. Apparently los temblores and "terremotos" (earthquakes)¨are common around here. That´s an experience I wouldn´t mind missing!

Anyway, after lunch I told Sr. John Marie that I would like to walk down to the town and look around. Sr. John Marie said "If you get lost...just look up. The school is right on the top of the hill." Sr. Lucia gave me the phone number of the school in case of an emergency and pointed out the walkway. She asked me if I planned to walk back up too. I said ¨"yes," and Sr. John Marie said, "She´s young, and plus, she´s been to China...she´ll be fine."


Well, let me tell you...it was a LONG, STEEP, zig-zagging walk down (SJVA girls, imagine that drain pipe we used to take as a short cut to the bus x 100). Once at the bottom, I walked few blocks to the Plaza, and then to the main shopping area.

I toured around a bit, looking for postcards, but wasn´t able to find any (too bad because I did locate the Post Office). So, I bought myself a coke and sat in the park for an hour, did some people-watching and then headed back for the hills.

And just when I thought I wasn´t going to be able to find the right walkway to ascend, I looked up and I saw the cross on top of the school´s chapel! I´d like to say I stopped a few times during the walk up, to admire the view, but I´d be lying.

When I got back, Sr. John Marie told me that the teachers were looking for me at her meeting with them, because they had a gift for me. It was a small painted box with "Ovalle" on it that was wrapped in a nice hand-painted bag (so sweet).

Sr. Consuelo returned today from her visit to Santiago and Sr. John Marie and I had dinner with her and Sr. Victoria. After dinner, we watched Las Novellas.

Tommorrow, Sr. John Marie and I head back to Santiago...It was a very nice trip to Ovalle.


Ver mapa más grande

1 comment: