Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 24 - Hay nieve en los Andes!

So all the rainy days paid off. Just as Sr. John Marie and Sr. Marie Isabella promised, the result of this miserable weather was a beautiful snowy landscape in the Andes. Sr. Marie Isabella took me to the top steps of the school to get the best view. You’ll have to take my word for it. The view is breathtaking. The pictures just don’t do justice.















Today was another quiet day in the house. All the action was next door where the Pastoral group was meeting (these are the girls selected to lead the school in its formation in the Baptistine Spirit.) They slept over in the second house last night and woke up bright and early at 7:30am to continue their training on how to motivate their peers. I strolled in about 10:30am. Today, Sr. John Marie and Sr. Anni were special guest speakers.
















The rest of the morning I ran back and forth between the two houses, helping out where I could. I made sure I was at the main house for lunch. Today was Sr. Teresa’s turn to cook. She made a delicious soup and a chicken dish with potatoes, carrots and peas.



In the evening, I went with the sisters to the Saturday Mass at the school’s chapel. Today, we had a full house. The 2nd grade and their families were in charge of running the mass, the Pastoral group and their families were there, and there was a baptism of a cute little baby boy. Francesca met me at mass, and then we had plans to go out.


After mass, I headed out with Francisca for my big night in Santiago. We went to a famous part called Bella Vista to a nice Peruvian restaurant (I cannot believe I forgot to take a picture!!!), followed by coffee in a local coffee shop and a drink of Pisco Sour (the national drink) at a bar close to where Francisca works. We started in speaking in Spanish, but ended in English, as I was getting frustrated with trying to figure out the right tense for every sentence. It wasn't a crazy night, but it was a late one and I had a great time. I didn't get home until 2am, which explains my late post, and lack of pictures today. Thankfully, our security dog, Guaton, didn't rat me out and wake up the entire house upon my late return.

Tomorrow, Sr. Justin and I head South. Looking forward to the scenery, but not the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment