Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 14 – Lenguaje, Matematicas y mas Lenguaje

Today was a full morning of school starting at 8:30 am. I had a 4th grade language class followed by a 9th grade Math Class and then a Senior level language class.

In the sessions today, the professors put me on the spot and made me stand up in front of the class, tell them about myself, what I like to do and take questions from the students in Spanish. They all wanted to know why I am in Chile, do I like it here, and why I am staying with the sisters. They liked that I was an Alumna(here they call it an ex-alumna) of SJVA. It was a fun day.

In the math class, the professor was reviewing a test the students had taken previously. I reviewed along with students, working out the correct answers. I had problems with understanding some of the word problems and the students were only too happy to help me, and told me if I had any questions to ask them. I don’t think they realize that it has been 20 years since I had 9th grade math!

In the language class the seniors put on skits from the various plays they were studying. Like the class I went to on Monday, I didn’t understand most of what they were saying, but I enjoyed the experience. I wish I had my camera because they were dressed up in costumes and makeup. They really get into the project.

The older girls wanted to talk to me in English, but the teachers told them only Spanish and asked them to speak very slowly to me. They asked me what I liked to do, and when I told the class that I liked to bike ride, the teacher, Patrica (one of Sr. John Marie’s former students) made a date with me for Saturday 8:30 am to ride around Santiago. One of the students is going to lend me her bike. Very exciting.

At 3:00 I met with the director of the school to create a schedule for next week. And then I helped Sr. John Marie with sending an email of a document she’s been working on to Italy. She was so excited to finish with it and for my help (she said I was an Angel (ahhhhh).

Solange and I went over to the park and were all ready to go for a ride around, only to find out that the bike rentals are only on the weekend. We walked for about an hour. Now we know.

Tomorrow and Friday the schools are closed for a holiday, so the sisters are going on an outing and taking me along. I am not sure where exactly, but we are leaving at 9:30am. I'll have pictures and details tomorrow.

FLU UPDATE: Tonight in the news they said that there are 24 cases of the Flu here in Chile. Still none have hit our school.

And, here's my favorite comedy duo, Sr. Anni and Sr. Justin. Sr. Anni shows us her knife throwing skills she learned in India.

2 comments:

  1. Tour de Chile! Now you can one-up Chris on his bike travels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did the students give you a grade by the end of the day? How'd you do? So CUTE!

    ReplyDelete