Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 16 - !Empanadas! Super Bien!

So yesterday when we were in the restaurant, I saw a plate going by with something that looked like calzones on it. Sr. Luz said that they were empanadas. She asked me if I had ever had them in Chile, and I said, “no.” Sr. John Marie said that they would have to make Senora Elsa make them for me one day.

Well, I’ll give you one guess what we had for lunch today! And boy were they were DELICIOUS (or Super Bien as the say here in Chile.) I told Senora Elsa that the restaurant was good, but her cooking is better! These had meat, onions, eggs and olives in them and tasted like they came from heaven.


It was really beautiful out today, so after lunch, I went for a VERY long walk around the neighborhood. I had to go solo because Solange was home with her family and everyone else was busy doing their own thing. I put on my headphones and started walking. I knew I couldn’t get too lost, because all I had to do was look for the Andes.

I walked about a mile away from the park Solange and I had visited and I found a supermarket called “Lider.” I bought myself a coke. Then I walked up past the park (probably another mile) and found a JUMBO (like Walmart) and EASY (like home depot) with a bunch of stores, including a Dunkin Donuts, in between. The big win for today was that I found a SIM card for my phone, so now I can make local calls. And an even bigger win was that I bought it by myself IN SPANISH.

Tomorrow, I go bike riding at 8:30 am with Patricia. Sunday, I’m headed solo (with my phone) to the big park were cerro San Cristobol is located.

3 comments:

  1. Dude. I'm so totally stealing Superbien. Like, forever.

    Also? Now I'm suggesting empanadas tomorrow with Rovan and Erika. :-)

    Congrats on the purchasing your card en espanol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. We did not go for empanadas...now I have a big craving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Chilean empanadas are the BEST! I told my Mami that we had Cuban empanadas, to which she said "ick." I think her living in Chile for 5 years made her a big empanada snob! Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete