Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 21 - !Estoy aprendiendo!

For those of you who think it was funny that I was late for class yesterday (Erika), you’ll be happy to know that I was on time today! Unfortunately, the professor was giving a test, so I had to go to Fernando to get another class.

Fernando moved me to a Social Studies class followed by a Chemistry class with the 7th graders. I was able to follow along pretty well in both subjects. Then I went to Paulina’s FolkLore class with the 3rd graders. They practiced their dances, and then sang me the National Anthem of Chile. Here's a sample:







Finally, I went to a religion class for 7th grade that was reviewing why there is bad in the world (that's hard to understand in any language).

Going to the classes (regardless of the subject) has been good for me. Every once in a while I’ll hear a word and say to myself, “Oh…that’s what that means.” And by this point, I think I have sat in on every grade in the school, so the students know me and my story and go out of their way to start up a conversation with me (in Spanish and in English), which helps.

Living in a semi-immersion situation (Sr. Justin, Sr. Anni and Sr John Marie speak to me in English sometimes) is an interesting process. After 20 days here in Chile, there are moments when someone speaks to me in Spanish and I answer automatically in Spanish without even thinking. I usually get caught up when I don’t know the correct word to answer with. And if the conversation gets too advanced, I am lost, but for the most part I can get the gist of what the person is talking about.

I know I am making progress because now, even Los TeleNovellas are starting to make sense. The storylines are crazy, which is why sometimes I think, “no, that can’t be right.” But then I realize that I got it perfectly. (TV news anchor Martin Pell is married to his co-host, but is actually living with the gay son of the owner of the TV station. As he goes between houses, he dresses as a worker, so he is not recognized. He still loves his wife…but there is something…I don’t know what yet, keeping them from being together). They repeat the shows from the night before, so if I missed something the first time, I usually pick it up the next night.

Anyway, this afternoon I walked to Jumbo to look for some warmer clothes to prepare for my trip south with Sr. Justin. On my walk I got a clear view of the Andes, and so far no snow. I was able to buy two new fleeces. Sr. Marie Isabella gave me a jacket and gloves and Senora Elsa is going to bring me a hat tomorrow. I'm debating on whether or not I want to buy boots. I'm leaning towards no, but you never know.

Tomorrow my first class is Religion with Sr. Soyla at 8:30 am. (I’ll be there on time.)

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you'll get so hooked on the telenovellas that you'll start watching them when you get home? HAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete